Events at the Winter Olympics have changed many times over the years. While the details about the number and types of events that will be offered in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia have not been finalized, there were 86 events in the last Winter Olympic Games that were held in Vancouver, Canada in 2010. Current events (those held in Vancouver) can be categorized as follows:
Alpine Skiing (10 events)
• Alpine skiing events are offered in both the men’s and women’s categories.
Specific events are the downhill, super giant slalom, giant slalom, and combined Alpine.
Biathlon (10 events)
• In the biathlon category, both men’s and women’s events are offered. The specific
events are sprint (men’s 10km/women’s 7.5km), individual (men’s 20km/women’s 15km), pursuit (men’s 12.5km/women’s 10km), relay (men’s 4 runners at 7.5km each/women’s 4 runners at 6km each), and mass start (men’s 1.5km/women’s 12.5).
Bobsledding (3 events)
• Bobsled events offered are the men’s four-man race and two-man race, as well as
the women’s two-woman race.
Cross-Country Skiing (12 events)
• Men’s cross-country events include the sprint, team sprint, 15km sprint, 30km
sprint, 50km relay, and four-man 10km relay. Women’s cross-country skiing events include the women’s sprint, team sprint, 15km pursuit, 10km, 30km, and four-woman 5km relay.
Curling (2 events)
• Men’s and women’s curling events are separately offered.
Figure Skating (4 events)
• Events are offered in the men’s and women’s individual categories, as well as
combined pairs and ice dancing.
Freestyle Skiing (6 events)
• Events are separately offered for men’s and women’s categories in the moguls,
aerials, and skicross.
Ice Hockey (2 events)
• Offered since 1924, there are men’s and women’s team event categories.
Luge (3 events)
• Luge events include the men’s and women’s singles as well as double-luge
Nordic Combined (3 events)
• Events are offered in Nordic combined including the men’s individual normal hill,
10km individual large hill, and team categories.
Short Track Speed Skating (8 events)
• Events offered in short track speed skating include the men’s 500 meters, 1,000
meters, 1500 meters, and 5,000 meter men’s relay as well as the women’s 500 meters, 1,000 meters, and 3,000 meter women’s relay.
Skeleton (2 events)
• This event has come and gone several times since 1924. It includes men’s and
Ski Jumping (3 events)
• Events offered are the men’s individual large hill, individual small hill, and large
team hill categories.
Snowboarding (6 events)
• The six events offered in snowboarding are the men’s and women’s parallel giant
slalom, half-pipe, and snowboard cross categories.
Speed Skating (12 events)
• Of the 12 events, those offered are men’s 500 meter, 1,000 meter, 1,500 meter,
5,000 meter, and 10,000 meter individual categories and a team pursuit. Women’s categories include the 3,000 meter individual event.
In addition to the sports in which medals are awarded, the host country of the Winter Olympics frequently offers one or more demonstration events. Bandy, a Russian variation of traditional hockey, will be offered as a non-medal, demonstration event at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games.